top of page

Ajudar as famílias a navegar na Jornada da UTIN, um milagre de cada vez.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Youtube
  • LinkedIn



Our journey began in 2017 when I found out we were pregnant with our second child. My first pregnancy and delivery were completely normal, and I gave birth to a healthy baby boy at 41 weeks. Naturally, we assumed our second pregnancy would go just as smoothly. However at our 12-week ultrasound, we discovered that I had complete placenta previa, a condition where the placenta completely covers the birth canal. I was reassured that the placenta would most likely move upward as the baby grew, but this was not the case.

At 32 weeks exactly, I went to the bathroom and noticed a large amount of blood. I quickly ran to get my husband, and I could feel the blood gushing out of me. Since I had no bleeding issues or pains before this, we were terrified with what was happening. We rushed to Abington Hospital where they admitted me overnight with the hopes that the bleeding would resolve. By morning the bleeding continued, and I had started to dilate. It was then when they decided to do an emergency c-section.

The day before I had been noticing my lucky number 33 a lot. It seemed to be everywhere I looked, the clock, my phone, the channel on the TV. I saw it so much that day I told my husband to play the number. While we did not win the lottery, our little Mason arrived at exactly 7:33 am the next morning. I would call it fate. Mason weighed in at 3lbs 15ounces. When they brought him to me, I was overcome with emotion, and the moment I spoke to him he opened his eyes and smiled at me. It was a moment I will cherish forever, and it was then when I knew all was going to be ok.
The next 38 days in the NICU were scary ones, full of ups and downs and a lot of uncertainty. Being a nurse myself I thought I would be able to handle it better than most, but I was entirely out of my element. The nurses and Doctors that cared for Mason were incredible, and they shared in our joy with the small victories during our journey.

It was our first day in the NICU when I received our welcome package from the Today is a Good Day Foundation. I was overcome with emotion when I opened it and saw the book “On the Night You Were Born” which was the book we read to our other son every night. The package also contained bracelets that me and my husband put on right away. They served as a constant reminder that we were not alone in our journey and to just take it one day at a time. My husband still wears his to this day and we are forever grateful to this foundation for providing a beacon of light when we needed it most.

bottom of page