top of page

Ayudar a las familias a recorrer el viaje de la UCIN, un milagro a la vez.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Youtube
  • LinkedIn



Our preemie journey began pretty early on. My husband and I went to our 13 week ultrasound and the doctor was concerned about me possibly having placenta previa since my placenta was lying low over my cervix. They hoped as time went on with future ultrasounds that it would move upwards but unfortunately it did not. I was put on moderate bed rest at my 20 week ultrasound. Mind you we have a 2 year old at home and my husband works full time and luckily I was already able to be home and not worry about work. December 30th 2010 I had some bleeding and quickly went to Hospital to get checked out, they evaluated me for a few hours and sent me home. 

January 5th, 2011 I woke up to more bleeding and again went straight to the hospital. I was admitted at 27weeks exactly. They wanted me on strict bed rest. They gave me medicine to help the babies lungs develop quicker. It was at this point that my husband and I decided on a name for our little girl, we haven’t been able to agree on a name up until then, we thought it was fitting to call her “Hope”, because we hoping for a miracle. After a while I had another bleed and then another heavier bleed which sent me straight to an emergency c section.

Hope Charlie Gangloff was born January 22, 2011 at 2:01 am at

30 weeks 4 days weighing just

 3lbs 5oz and 17 inches long.

She was taken to NICU

I was not able to see her til 11am because I had lost a lot of blood and needed a transfusion. 

She needed some help breathing and needed to be monitored. She was fed through a tube. We were not able to hold her yet. January 27th she was able to completely breath on her own and was able to hold her! 

It was very hard leaving her at the hospital and hard for me because I felt I needed to be there for Hope but I also had a 2 and a half year old Haley at home. Luckily through my hospital stay and Hopes NICU stay, we had our parents who were able to split time to help by staying at the house per the couple months. On February 4th Hope was introduced to the bottle and February 5th we were able to feed her for the first time. She also weighed 3lbs 13oz on this day. During this time I was also pumping to supply breast milk for her. She was getting most feeding through a feeding tube still, just very little through a bottle. February 17th she weighed 4lbs 12oz. She was doing better with feeding, which we needed her to do to get home. Also that night my husband and I stayed over in the hospital with Hope to see how we would do with her on an apnea monitor. The monitor went off a couple times but otherwise went great. February 20th she weighed 4lbs 14oz. She was now able to do all her feedings and was taken off the feeding tube, which meant she would be able to go home soon! Hope also passed her car seat test. On February 21st we were told that Hope can come home after 4 weeks in the NICU. She came home on an apnea monitor. She weighed 4lbs 15oz. We were not eligible for the shot to prevent RSV, a respiratory virus. On March 6th we took Hope to ER because she keep vomiting all her feedings. She tested positive for RSV. Her heart rate keep dropping. She was rushed to CHOP where she needed to

 be closely monitored. She had a rough few hours , it was definitely the scariest part of our NICU experience. She was in CHOP for 8 days and was able to come home on March 14th. March 29th was her actual due date, she was 9 and half weeks old and not even 8 lbs. She was on her apnea monitor until June 15th. She was evaluated every 6 months by the NICU department until she was 2 years old. She was hitting milestones good for her corrected age and eventually did not need to attend anymore evaluations.

She is still on the lower end for weight and height but she develops on her own curve as they said. She is now 7 years old and weighs 42lbs. She loves gymnastics, singing and watching YouTube videos. She is definitely out little miracle baby! We had “Hope”.

-Melissa and Charles Gangloff

bottom of page